Tuesday

Psalm 139:7-13 - December 22, 2009

Ps 139:7-13 "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. 11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," 12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you." NIV

Have you ever felt like the Lord was far away, so far that His voice was only a dim echo drifting on the breeze? You are not alone. Throughout the ages, seekers of God have entered into and passed through those dark times of confusion and doubt. This psalm was written as comfort for the weary heart in just such times. When we feel weak it is good to have the promises of God to hold on to, to give us strength and anchor us in the knowledge of God’s ever present help.

Where can I go from your Spirit … the heavens… you are there…. the depths… you are there… the far side of the ocean, yes there to, in the darkness, your gaze is upon me! In all seasons, at all times, through every trial, in the midst of every victory God is there. David lived in the reality of God’s abiding presence. He was confident in the knowledge of God. These verses in Psalm 139 evoke images of seasons of running from God, seasons of depression (the depths), time and space, even night seasons of the soul and yet the answer of David’s spirit man as he reflects on the nature of God’s dealings with him is “You are there!”

David proclaims the assuring fact that no matter what we are going through God is with us, can see the way through our darkness, will guide us safely through and will hold us fast in his protective arms. How much more can we ask for! David has been seasoned by great trials and many times of personal failure and yet his testimony is that God will guide… God will protect. Let David’s confidence become your confidence! No matter what you are going through reach out to God in the knowledge that His watchful eye is upon you and He is faithful to bring you through to green pastures and heart of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment