Friday

Ps 130:5-6 "I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. 6 My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning." NIV

What is happening in your soul today? Is it at peace? Is there a whirlwind of anxious striving? In Psalm 130:5-6 the psalmist is calling us to a place of rest. Is your hope in your wisdom, your strength, your connections or maybe your money? Put your hope in the word of God! Verse 5 is a statement of faith from the heart of the psalmist “in His word I put my hope.” When the pressure is on, when you need answers, when there is a major decision to make, turn your eyes to God’s word and your relationship with Him! Do not let your heart be disturbed by the circumstances you are facing. God is greater than every trial that will come your way.

Jesus demonstrated and taught a life of peace in the face of great conflict and trial. He was consistently surrounded by outward pressures, the needs of the multitudes and the carnality and failings of his own staff – His disciples! Yet in the midst of all of that He confidently tells His disciples in John 14:1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.” Jesus knows the death that awaits Him and yet he confidently tells his followers “…do not let your hearts be troubled.” This is particularly amazing when we consider the context of this comment. Jesus says immediately after telling Peter that He will deny the Lord three times. Imagine the grace that was on the Lord’s heart to go through this process. Essentially he says in one sentence “Peter you are about to betray me…” and in the very next sentence he turns to the whole group and basically says “but don’t be troubled… trust God and trust me!”

We are called to rest from our striving. We are invited to rest in the Lord with confidence. Jesus uses this situation in Jn. 14:1 to introduce the disciples to a deeper understanding of the oneness between He and the Father and the role of the Holy Spirit in working in the heart of those who believe. His goal is to transition His disciples from a life of walking with Him in the flesh to a life of walking with the Father by the Spirit. He concludes John 14:25-27 by saying "All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” Jesus prepares the disciples for the difficult season that is ahead by showing them where to turn and connecting them to the reality that He has already made provision for them and their needs. In their hour of need Jesus points them to the fact that the Father is going to send the Counselor to be there for them.

In the same Spirit of faith in God that the Psalmist points towards as he commits to waiting before the Father Jesus, tells His disciples in Acts 1:4 "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.” Watch and wait for the Lord! Do not act in your own strength and wisdom. Wait for the Holy Spirit and His counsel to direct you into the path of life and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment