Saturday

October 24, 2009

Are you listening?

1. Samuel 3:4-10 “4 Then the LORD called Samuel. Samuel answered, Here I am. 5 And he ran to Eli and said, Here I am; you called me. But Eli said, I did not call; go back and lie down. So he went and lay down. 6 Again the LORD called, Samuel! And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, Here I am; you called me. My son, Eli said, I did not call; go back and lie down. 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD: The word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him. 8 The LORD called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, Here I am; you called me. Then Eli realised that the LORD was calling the boy. 9 So Eli told Samuel, Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, 'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.' So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, Samuel! Samuel! Then Samuel said, Speak, for your servant is listening." NIV

Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to listen to someone when there are other noises around? Often times we are not even good listeners without any other distractions on the side. Our own thoughts and personal matters just occupy us so much that we are unable to really focus and listen to what the other person has to say.


The passage in Samuel 3 serves as such a great example. “In those days, the word of the Lord was rare.” Samuel was young and had never heard the voice of the Lord before. However, he doesn't just turn around and fall back asleep, he reacts to the voice he hears. As he laid down to sleep, God called him. When Samuel finally recognizes that it is the Lord calling him, he makes himself completely available and says

“Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”
God called Samuel as he went to bed. This doesn't mean that the Lord only speaks at night, but we can definitely hear him best as we get quiet before him. We need to learn to still the voices around us and to make ourselves available to the Lord. This is a choice we have to make every day again.
What a privilege it is that God is speaking to us continually! In the days of Samuel, the word of the Lord was rare (1. Samuel 3:1). What would people have given for just one word of God! And here we are, knowing that the connection to God, which was made through Jesus Christ, is available to us 24/7 – And we simply don't make enough use of it. We often times take it for granted that the Lord is speaking. Or we just don't understand, what that reality really means! But we can't just roll over and keep sleeping. God is calling constantly, nudging us with impressions and thoughts, just waiting for us to still the other voices around us and to respond to his whispers.He wants to share his secrets with his friends. He desires to communicate with his children and to tell us what's on his heart. We simply have to react to his voice, when he calls us!
Just imagine what the Lord could accomplish through us, if we would all be on our guards at all times, just listenening and waiting for his instructions. I am certain that many negative things could be avoided and a lot more wonderful things could be accomplished for his glory.


Let this be your prayer today: “Speak, oh Lord, for your servant is listening. Help me to be still before you. Teach me to calm all the other voices, develop in me the discipline to take time and listen. Forgive me for the times I did not listen to you, for not making the time for your whispers. I want to expect you to speak to me – Any time, every day. Help me to react to your voice, to carry out your tasks and to make your name great, oh God. Thank you for speaking to me. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment