Monday

October 12, 2009

Seasons of Revelation

As we embrace a season of drawing nearer to God there is a natural

bi-product of this increased intimacy with the Lord – Revelation.
The scriptures declare that God rewards those who diligently seek him:

Heb 11:5-6 “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” NIV

Joel 2:28 also says that when the Holy Spirit is poured out on people the end result is supernatural communication increases in all of its various forms. The implication of these truths is that we must expect during this season significant increases in dreams, visions and prophecy as we draw near to the Holy Spirit. Because of this we are going to take a look at some principles of revelation to prepare us to be good stewards of what God is saying in this season.

Why Revelation?

1 Cor 14:26-33 “What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-or at the most three-should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God. 29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace.” NIV

1 Cor 14:6-7 “Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the flute or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes?” NIV

• Revelation is a common part of the Christian experience.
• The goal of revelation is to strengthen the church.
• The purpose of revelation is to impart value not intrigue.
• Revelation can bring instruction and encouragement.

Eph 1:17-18 “I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.” NIV

• Revelation is the bi-product of the Holy Spirit’s ministry.
• Revelation enables us to know Christ better.

Pr. 29:18-19 “Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law.” NIV

• Revelation provides a focus that motivates us to be disciplined.

Dan 2:27-30 “Daniel replied, "No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain to the king the mystery he has asked about, 28 but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries. He has shown King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in days to come. Your dream and the visions that passed through your mind as you lay on your bed are these:

29 "As you were lying there, O king, your mind turned to things to come, and the revealer of mysteries showed you what is going to happen. 30 As for me, this mystery has been revealed to me, not because I have greater wisdom than other living men, but so that you, O king, may know the interpretation and that you may understand what went through your mind.” NIV

• God’s nature is to reveal mysteries to those who seek him.
(Look at how Daniel got his revelation.)

Job 33:15-18 “In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls on men as they slumber in their beds, 16 he may speak in their ears and terrify them with warnings, 17 to turn man from wrongdoing and keep him from pride, 18 to preserve his soul from the pit, his life from perishing by the sword.” NIV

• At times dreams are given as warnings.

o To turn us from wrongdoing.

o To keep us from pride.

o To preserve our soul.

o To keep us from physical harm.

Matt 2:19-23 “After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt 20 and said, "Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child's life are dead."

21 So he got up, took the child and his mother and went to the land of Israel. 22 But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning in Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there. Having been warned in a dream, he withdrew to the district of Galilee, 23 and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene." NIV

Matt 2:11-13 “And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route. 13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. "Get up," he said, "take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him." NIV

• An individual can have a series of dreams directing his steps.

• God can reveal the plans of the enemy.

• In the Old Testament the prophet heard the king’s plans in his own bedroom.

• Through revelation God can give detailed personal direction.

Matt 27:19 “While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him." NIV

• Revelation comes at times as a means to serve others.

• Dreams can be given to reveal innocence or guilt.

Common Reactions to Revelation.

• Often times dreams are despised as fantasies.

Ps 73:20 “As a dream when one awakes, so when you arise, O Lord, you will despise them as fantasies.” NIV

• Sometimes dreams are quickly forgotten.

Job 20:8 “Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found, banished like a vision of the night.” NIV

• Sometimes our dreams can cause us to fall in to pride.

o Prophetic ministry is intended to benefit the people who receive it.

o A word that is not from the Lord is worthless

• Pride can open the door for false revelations that lead people astray.

Jer 23:30-32 "Therefore," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who steal from one another words supposedly from me. 31 Yes," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, 'The LORD declares.' 32 Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams," declares the LORD. "They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least," declares the LORD.” NIV

• Sometimes we don’t understand the dream or vision.

• At times we can be troubled by this not understanding.

Dan 2:2-3 “So the king summoned the magicians, enchanters, sorcerers and astrologers to tell him what he had dreamed. When they came in and stood before the king, 3 he said to them, "I have had a dream that troubles me and I want to know what it means." NIV

• At times God’s dreams can make us afraid.

Dan 4:4-5 “I had a dream that made me afraid. As I was lying in my bed, the images and visions that passed through my mind terrified me.” NIV

• Revelation experiences at times can cause suffering. After one revelation experience Daniel was sick for days.

Matt 27:19 “While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him." NIV

• Handling revelation in such a way that brings embarrassment to us publicly.

Gal 2:1-2 “Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also. 2 I went in response to a revelation and set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. But I did this privately to those who seemed to be leaders, for fear that I was running or had run my race in vain.” NIV

Are All Revelations From the Lord?

• No!!! Jer. 23:30-32 There can be false dreams

Jer 23:30-32 "Therefore," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who steal from one another words supposedly from me. 31 Yes," declares the LORD, "I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, 'The LORD declares.' 32 Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams," declares the LORD. "They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least," declares the LORD.” NIV

• There can be stress related dreams.

Eccl 5:3 “As a dream comes when there are many cares, so the speech of a fool when there are many words.” NIV

• There can be dreams influenced by your personal desires.

Handling Revelation Rightly

• When revelation comes it is good to spend time with the Lord.

1 Kings 3:13-15 “And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life." 15 Then Solomon awoke-and he realized it had been a dream. He returned to Jerusalem, stood before the ark of the Lord's covenant and sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offerings. Then he gave a feast for all his court.” NIV

• Our hearts must be enlightened to comprehend what is communicated. Eph. 1:17

• It is important to realize that our own revelation is not the complete picture and that others may have a more complete interpretation for us as well as others may be receiving other portions of the revelation that God is communicating. Da. 2:27-30

Dan 4:9-10 “I said, "Belteshazzar, chief of the magicians, I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in you, and no mystery is too difficult for you. Here is my dream; interpret it for me. 10 These are the visions I saw while lying in my bed: I looked, and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous.” NIV

Matt 2:12-13 “And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route. 13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. "Get up," he said, "take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him." NIV

• Recognize that some revelation is best handled privately.

Gal 2:1-2 “Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also. 2 I went in response to a revelation and set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. But I did this privately to those who seemed to be leaders, for fear that I was running or had run my race in vain.” NIV

• Write down what you receive.

• Make the revelation plain so that it can be communicated.

• Recognize that revelation comes with an appointed timing.


Hab 2:2-3 “Then the LORD replied: "Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it. 3 For the revelation awaits an appointed time.”
NIV

• The example of David’s response. II Sa. 7:17-8:1





No comments:

Post a Comment