Thursday

Psalm 69:13-18 - July 23, 2009

Ps 69:13-18 "But I pray to you, O LORD, in the time of your favor; in your great love, O God, answer me with your sure salvation. 14 Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink; deliver me from those who hate me, from the deep waters. 15 Do not let the floodwaters engulf me or the depths swallow me up or the pit close its mouth over me. 16 Answer me, O LORD, out of the goodness of your love; in your great mercy turn to me. 17 Do not hide your face from your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble. 18 Come near and rescue me; redeem me because of my foes." NIV

Have you ever felt like you were stuck in a situation that just kept getting worse, one that seemed to constantly be pulling you in further and further over your head? Well, you are not alone. Psalm 69 finds David crying out from this same sense of entrapment as he lifts his voice to God for mercy. Within the center of this cry for help David reveals the foundation of his peace; the great love of God. David is confident to cry out for help because he is confident that he is loved. It is truly amazing that even in the midst of a season where he feels this burden of decaying circumstances he is able to focus his attention of God’s favor and His love. He knows who he is before God and so he is able to cry out with confidence.
Listen to the language of his situation: "rescue me from the mire… deliver me from those who hate me…”
floodwaters engulfing, depths swallowing him up, the pit closing over him. It is clear that David is feeling the pressure and pain of his circumstances and yet he is able to confidently turn to God and see past his circumstances to the great love and mercy of God. “Lord, give us those same eyes!”
David is very candid in regard to his need: “Lord do it quickly, I am in need!” The pain of life has a powerful way of stripping all of the extra words away at times. David needs an answer and he needs it now!! The comforting message held within the language of this prayer is that it is okay to feel this way. It is okay to talk to God that way. “Help me now Lord!!!” When we look at David we can see a man who is very intimate with the Lord but this intimacy is not wrapped up in flowery speech and religious jargon. David is intensely honest and direct with God. His heart is passionate and affectionate with the Lord but he knows the language of the street in his prayer life as well. This is such a great balance to the songs of other seasons in his life where he speaks majestically of God’s glory and revels in the majesty of God’s power and presence. In life it is important to know when to be a lover and when to be a fighter. The psalms of David are a great example of both. May each one of us learn to recognize which season we are in and give ourselves fully to the great needs of the moment that we are in!

No comments:

Post a Comment