Friday

Psalm 13:6 - February 6, 2009

Ps 13:6 "I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me." NIV

Sing to the Lord! Lift up your voice and declare his praise! For the Lord has been good to you! You might be in the midst of blessing and you might be in the midst of a hard season but you have been blessed by his goodness. None of us can know the troubles that the Lord has protected us from. None of us can fathom the measure of evil that would have touched our lives had he not spread his protection over us. Ps. 91 tells us that he has given his angels command concerning us to guard us in all of our ways! What a promise that we are guarded by the protection of the Lord. The unseen hand of God is at work, moving life’s circumstances to order your steps into the path of his goodness.
Ro. 8:28 tell us that in all things God is working for the good of those who love him. He does not orchestrate the difficulties that come upon our lives through circumstances or the evil of men, but in each instance he promises us that He is at work bringing good into our situation and into our hearts. It is this knowledge, the knowledge that he is committed to working out all things for good that I can rest in joy and thanksgiving.
It is also this song of joy from a heart of faith that secures my emotions. Miriam declared, “I will sing unto the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously!” As we meditate on the triumph of God, and by faith stand on the victory of Christ on the cross as the means through which God is working out all things for our good, we can lift up a song of joy. When we praise we are building up our own spirit. We are strengthening our inner man and bringing pleasure to God. Many years ago, during a season where I was focusing intently on singing in tongues a lot in my personal prayer time, I had a dream where I was talking to the Lord about singing in tongues and he spoke to me saying, “I love it when you do that!”
Paul states in 1 Cor 14:15 “So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.” As we sing unto the Lord we take time to sing from the place of our intellect, and then we move into times of singing from our spirit man, songs in our heavenly language. This work builds up our spirit so that we can truly be like Paul describes in Eph 3:16 that God may, “strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being.” So today, sing to the Lord songs of praise. Sing because of his goodness, sing because of his victory, sing because he is worthy of praise, and be strengthened with power for living!